Sunday, September 12, 2010

A word...or two... about Minnesota

In August we went to Minnesota to visit my in-laws, and anyone who has talked to me in the previous 4 months knows I had some concerns about the Boundary Waters experience we were going to have- canoeing, portaging all of our gear (children, food, tents, sleeping bags, clothes, porta-crib, etc.), camping with our three children, and having no access to civilization in case of an emergency. Well, we went and had a FABULOUS time on the trip- Boundary water, Canada, Minneapolis, Blue Fin Bay, staying on Lake Superior, and just being together. But just to prove (ya, I am that kind of pathetic) that my concerns were not totally irrational...

My in-laws took David's brother and sister and their families to boundary waters this past week. During the second night, they heard a bear outside of their tents in their camp - my bro-in-law was banging pots and pans, screaming, and doing all he could to scare it away (He has a three year old and baby just older than Aidan). It came back two more times that night- clawed through all of their water bottles, egg container, and ruined a bunch of other things. They were all wide awake at 5 am and packed up to go home... smart decision.

Good bye summer and hello fall!!!

2 comments:

Mimi said...

So glad your trip went well - I was amazed you were doing it with your 3 little ones. Catherine couldn't go but thought the whole thing sounded a bit overwhelming with kids.

Shar said...

What a trip huh!?! And I was very grateful for all your tips and suggestions. Thanks! It seems like we 'bearly' made it out of there alive. :)